• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  679
  • Achievement Points:  679
  • Days Won:  2
  • With Us For:  6016 Days

Για το Joker

post-5268-1238603782_thumb.jpg

Brian, what can you tell us about The Joker?

It’s dark, it’s disturbing… inky, oily, unapologetic noir. It’s the story of a crime boss-- in this case Joker-- reclaiming the city he lost when he got locked up.

How did you approach writing The Joker?

I dove right in the deep end with him. I found he was a character that couldn’t be half-assed. His story grabbed me by the throat while I was writing it, and dragged me to some very bad places-- much like what happens to Jonny Frost, the low-level thug who acts as the story’s narrator.

What aspects of his character did you choose to focus on, and why?

Strange at it seems, his struggle to control-- Gotham City for sure, and its criminal underworld, but also himself. Like… he’s insane, but he could be even “insaner,” and he knows it. I played with that notion. The characters, situations and action are all rooted in a gritty reality, with very little superhero/comic book-y aspects.

What made you gravitate toward a more street-level portrayal of Gotham and its residents?

It just feels right to me. I think Gotham City works best this way; a twisted reflection of our own urban realities. It really is a town without pity.

post-5268-1238603822_thumb.jpg

What is it about Lee Bermejo that makes him the ideal collaborator on this, after you guys teamed up on Lex Luthor?

Lee definitely shares the same sensibilities that I have. There’s a lot of mutual respect too; we want each other to succeed.

What did he bring to the project that elevated it for you?

Lee’s artwork is stunning. He absolutely nails the mood of this story-- and Joker himself. I don’t think readers will see the character in the same way again after reading this book. His work redefines.

Why do the Joker and Batman fit in with these kinds of stories so well?

Like Gotham City, they too are reflections of our own reality, I think. There’s nothing super or paranormal about them. They’re human, only “turned up to eleven.”

What do you hope readers get out of reading The Joker?

An experience-- I hesitate to say enjoyment. Let’s say thrilled. I hope they are thrilled. I hope they find that while the criminals of Gotham are scared of Batman, they’re absolutely terrified of Joker.

AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Joker-Brian-Azzarell.../ref=pd_sim_b_1

Σύνδεσμος για σχολιασμό
Μοιραστείτε με άλλους ιστότοπους